Top Cybersecurity Certifications that Will Rule the IT World in 2018
Data security has been a growing debatable issue, with the increase in the cybersecurity talent gap that is widening, along with the security unemployment rate, which is nearly zero. The cybersecurity certifications are something that proves an individual as a specialist in the IT security field. The network specialist can also be named as an information security manager, a network penetration testing expert, a network security managemer, etc. in the world of cyberspace. No matter whatever company you select (private sector, government sector, the MNCs, etc.), it is mandatory for you to have the intelligence and skills to design a strategy that comes with high-level security, and also implement that particular network on various systems or devices with utmost accuracy.
Also known as computer security or IT security, it is a system that comes with utmost protection for your computer system, hardware and software from getting damaged or stolen. It is also used for protection against disruption and confound of any services the systems come with. The security ensures protection of all kinds of technologies, networks, programs, computers and the data therein by giving authenticated access. The cybersecurity comes with features, such as application security, information security, network security, end-user security and disaster recovery, which covers nearly all the vital data in a computer system that needs protection.
Top Cybersecurity Certifications
When it comes to getting the best cybersecurity certifications, the variety of options baffle the purchasers while selecting. Hence, to make a perfect decision, it is better to focus on the knowledge and the experience it comes with. People generally opt for the cybersecurity field after spending some years gather technical skills. The post of a cybersecurity requires some basic knowledge of networking, system administration and fundamentals. So, if you are looking yourself in this field somewhere, you need to pursue a good number of experience working as a Network Engineer, or a System Administrator. While working in such posts, you need to be working on the details of the certifications for nearly 3 to 5 years, learning all the necessary aspects about information and architectural systems. The companies would always look for security engineers that would have a good experience.
Here are some cybersecurity certifications that will rule the IT world in 2018.
- CompTIA Security+ is one of the basic certifications in the field of IT, which comes with adequate security knowledge in theory.
- It comes with information that is merely theoretical, and don’t have any practical lab.
- The certification is globally accepted for the validation of foundational and the skills and knowledge of vendor-neutral IT security.
- It is considered as the best benchmark in the field of IT security, and also covers all the necessary principles of risk management and network security that are important for beginning of a career in the IT security.
- The security doesn’t demand for any prior prerequisites for Security+, however, it recommends around 2 years of experience in the field of IT administration along with earning from its Network credential, before you begin with the exams.
- The SY0-501 exam comes with maximum number of questions which is around 90, including multiple choice, based on performances.
- You need to score minimum 750 in the 90-minute test, which means around 100-900 questions.
- CompTIA Security+ is available in languages like English, Portuguese and Japanese.
- The TBD generally retires after 3 years of installation.
- The average salary for a fresher with SSCP certification is around $70,000.
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Popularly known as CISSP, it is one of the top level cybersecurity certifications.
- It is an ideal certification for individuals who come with proven deep managerial and technical skills, capacity, experience, creativity in designing, implementation, engineering, and last but not the least, managing the overall function of the security program.
- It is widely accepted to protect the organizations from the emerging practical attacks.
- The CISSP is recognized globally as a non-profit organization which is dedicated for bringing advancement in the IT security grounds.
- CISSP was also recognized as the first cybersecurity certification that was capable to meet all the inflexible needs of ISO-IEC Standard 17024.
- It is also measured as one of the standards of achievement that is recognized around the world.
- CISSP is considered the king position in the field of cybersecurity certificates, however, if you are willing to be known as the Chief Information Security Officer, you need have CISSP with you.
- This certification requires the CISSP exam.
- CISSP is also beneficial for other security jobs in IT security grounds for designations, such as system engineer, analysts, manager, consultant, etc.
- No doubt the salary would basically depend on the position, experience and the location where you would be working, the annual basic average pay of a CISSP certification holder is $109,000.
GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC)
- This is the best IT security certification for the individuals who are interested in the demonstration of their skills regarding the IT security.
- GSEC is a globally authorized certification, which is recognized by both the military and the government, in dealing with the cybersecurity certifications with due effectiveness.
- The certification is solely for the people who work beyond their terminology and experience regarding the knowledge of the specific field.
- GSEC henceforth, doesn’t require any kind of prior training or experience working practically over it.
- With utmost intelligence and courage, you need to pass out the GSEC exam with the 180 questionnaire in merely 5 hours.
- This has been the best post for the freshmen who come with zero experience in the field of cyber security certifications.
- The average salary of the individual working with GSEC is around $77,000.
Certified Ethical Hacking Certificate (CEH)
- Certified Ethical Hacker is a professionally skilled individual who comes with the talent of understanding and preventing the weakness accountability of the targeted system.
- It uses similar tools and knowledge; however, this is done within the limitations bounded by the law.
- The professionals get the access over the security of some targeted postures which are legitimate.
- It certifies the professionals for specific security regarding Ethical Hacking, which is derived from the vendor-neutral astute.
- They are widely adopted by the experienced companies, for hacking and beating up the other hackers in their own game.
- The eligibility is determined when the individual is capable of answering 125 questions in the CEH exam.
- The individual also needs to have minimum 2 years of experience that can be easily verified.
- The Certified Ethical Hackers are capable of earning minimum $96,000.
EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (ECSA)
- EC Council is just a sequel of CEH. It helps you grow as an ethical hacker by elevating your skills by behaving as a hacker.
- The individual looking for ECSA certification, you don’t need to have the CEH before appearing for the exam. The ECSA V9 is associated with this cert.
- The post is mended to help the penetration visitors and the security professionals for validating the phase of ethical hacking with the help of analysis.
- The job involves measuring the outcome of the hacking tools and the latest technologies.
- The professionals of ECSA have a hold of the improvised methods and technologies with which they identify and reduce the risks of the data, or say information security along with network infrastructure of the enterprise.
- The certification is suitable for posts, such as a network server administrator, an info security tester, a firewall administrator, a system administrator, a risk assessment professional, etc.
- The average annual salary of the ECSA certification holder is $88,000.
GIAC Penetration Tester (GPEN)
- Also known as GPEN, GIAC Penetration Tester is a certification, which is mostly adopted for developing skills which include security vulnerabilities in the field of computer systems and networks.
- The penetration tester is an individual which generally deals with various legal and technical complexities that are quite sensible.
- The GPEN holders also work with practical experience, that combines with legal and various non-technical problems that are surrounded with penetration testing.
- There is no prior certification required while applying for the test of GPEN, along with zero work experience, which comes with 115 questions.
- The minimum pays of the GPEN certificate holder, even if fresher is $72,000 annually.
Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- SSCP is considered to be one among the first step exams for getting a career in cyber security career.
- The certification is globally recognized by the (ISC)2, which is an ideal precursor for the certification like CISSP.
- The SSCP certificate holders develop professional skills for entry levels in the tenets of cyber security.
- This also includes cryptography, malicious coding, activity, access controls, analyzing, and monitoring, communications and networks, administration, security operations, etc.
- When it comes to competition, CompTIA Security+ is the popular competitor of SSCP.
- The SSCP holders generally can apply for posts, such as monitoring positions, implementation positions, security engineering, etc.
- To earn this certification, candidates should pass the SSCP exam.
- The minimum annual pay of any of these posts, comes to around $70,000, even if you are a newbie.
Certified in Risk and Information System Control (CRISC)
- Popular by the name CRISC, this cert is among various ISACA certifications.
- The certificate aids the professionals for developing better understanding related to the IT risks, which includes the complete organization.
- This certification would develop skills that would give you the capability to understand, manage and implement the corporate risks and correct control over the securities.
- This program was actually brought into action as a requirement for C-suite executives, which includes chief conformity, risk and the privacy officers.
- The CRISC exam mainly focuses on four basic grounds of security, namely, risk identification, response, assessment and reporting and monitoring with the right security controls.
- It also demands minimum 3 years of experience with relevant fields of applying for the test and the posts.
- The certification gives the holder the top most position that is given to the certificate holders of CRISC.
- The certification holders receive a minimum pay of $111,000 on annual basis.
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- This certification is given out by the globally renowned association, Information Systems Audit and Control Association, also known as ISACA.
- The certification holder mainly targets the information system control skills and monitoring skills.
- CISA is a certification that is recognized for appraising the expertise and knowledge for examining the accountability and set up of the technology control at a higher level.
- The individuals applying for this program should have a minimum experience of nearly 5 years so that they can score more than 450 on the CISA test of 200-800 questions.
- The topics of the questions in the exams would be based on information systems that include implementation, acquisition, operations, development, auditing and maintenance.
- This globally accepted certification is accepted for various higher auditing positions.
- The annual salary of the fresh CISA certification holder would range around $110,000.
Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- This certification, also known as CISM, is offered by ISACA.
- Just as CISA is mended mainly for auditing of information, CISM is for the security of information management.
- The applicants of CISM need to clear minimum 200 questions which is based on their abilities in the management and development of the information security programs.
- They should also be able to give out best responses for various incidents based on information security.
- The candidates need to have a minimum of 5 years of experience before they will to register.
- The certification is mainly used for job posts that include organizational security, InfoSec management, and consultation.
- If you are a CISM certification holder, you can earn a minimum earning of $115,000 on annual basis.
When it comes to security, nearly all the organizations will be looking for it, and hence, it is a long-term job provider certification. Different credentials will provide you with expertise in specific fields for working as a security expert. While there are basic courses such as CompTIA Security+ that will bring you to the commencing point, there are other valuable courses such as CISSP, which provide you with the designation of an ethical hacker. Thus, it can be said that one should begin with the first step moving towards for getting the complete knowledge to the top level.